The course is divided into 8 lessons as follows:
Writing Themes, Sentence Structure, Summary Skills, Theme Development (e.g. Deductive, Inductive, Classic, Chronological, Descriptive, Analogy, Cause & Effect, Classification, Definition Analysis, Comparison & Contrast, Flashback etc.)
2. Writing a Regular Column
Newsletters, News Columns, Criticism Journalism (e.g. Theatre Critics, Book Reviews, Film Reviews, etc.)
3. Educational Writing
Interviewing Skills, Illustrating an article, Putting it all together
4. Scientific Writing
Technical Writing, Statistics
5. Writing a Biographical Story
Developing a draft plan, Research, Writing the final manuscript
6. Writing a News Article
Analysing a news article; writing and illustrating a sporting event
7. Fiction Writing
Category Writing; Mainstream Writing; Characteristics of good fiction (i.e. A strong plot;. A hero or heroine; Obvious motivation; Plenty of action; A colourful background), Forming and developing an idea.
8. Other Writing
TV & Radio Scripts, Science Fiction, Conducting a Survey; Developing a Story.
- Review basic writing skills and discuss theme development
- Develop skills in writing a regular magazine or newspaper column.
- Describe the key elements of educational writing.
- Describe the key elements of technical writing.
- Develop skills in interviewing and preparing a biographical story.
- Develop skills in writing news articles.
- Develop skills in writing fiction.
- Describe other writing styles including script writing.
WHAT WILL YOU DO IN THIS COURSE?
This course develops and sharpens your writing skills largely through interaction with the tutor. Apart from that though, you will read about different writing techniques, you will conduct research and interviews, and plan projects.