The horticulture industry can be divided into two broad sectors: the production sector, which is largely involved with producing food crops, and the amenity sector, which is involved with growing plants for recreational or ornamental purposes. However, these should not be seen as clear-cut divisions. The boundaries defining the two sectors tend to vary from country to country and between horticultural institutions and employers. For example, some horticulturists might view floriculture enterprises or wholesale nurseries as being in the production sector, while others would classify them as amenity industries
Amenity horticulture has a vital role to play in the future management of the environment. As custodians of both natural and developed landscapes, amenity horticulturists will be increasingly responsible for ensuring the Earthâ€™s resources are used in a responsible and sustainable manner. From amenity horticulturists who work in backyard gardens to those who contribute to the management of national parks covering thousands of hectares, the trend will be to promote and implement strategies that conserve soil, water, air and biodiversity for the benefit of future generations.
- Explain the nature and scope of providing, establishing and managing amenity horticulture sites.
- Describe the complexity of the amenity horticulture industry
- Compare the changing complexity of the amenity industry in the UK, your own country (if different to the UK), and at least one other country.
- Discuss the diverse benefits that amenity horticulture offers to society.
- Explain processes underlying the natural and manmade environments used to manipulate and control amenity sites effectively within economic and environmental parameters.
- Identify legal, social, economic and environmental conditions that impact on amenity industry.
- Demonstrate prudent use of financial and physical resources to manage amenity landscapes.
- Identify and review the changing complexity of the amenity industry.
There are 7 lessons in this module as follows:
- Nature and Scope of the Amenity Horticulture Industry
- Global Variations: Nature and Scope of the Amenity Industry in Different Countries
- Benefits of Amenity Horticulture
- Amenity Horticulture Management Options
- Influences (Legal, Social etc)
- Determining Best Practice
- Preparing for the Future